Friday, August 8, 2008

ITIS APIS POTANDA TINO NE

Sydney Morning Herald [Australia]
9 August 2008

Column 8

[...] It's suburban archaeology time, with Epping's John Rourke reporting an intriguing find. "While digging in the garden, I unearthed what appears to be a very old bronze vessel. A thorough clean revealed the following inscription, obviously in a foreign language - possibly Latin, 'ITIS APIS POTANDA TINO NE'. I am curious to know the age and purpose of the vessel, and would be grateful if one of your learned readers could provide a translation." We are almost certain it is evidence of a Roman ship blown off course, and that the inscription translates as "I'm as pissed as a potato, aren't I?" But we may be wrong. [...]

[IT IS A PIS POT AND A TIN ONE. -- bc]

Sydney Morning Herald
15 August 2008

Column 8

[...] "John Rourke, though I don't live in Epping, I think your archaeological visitors must have been round my way, too," writes Graham Bannerman, of Lewisham (Mysterious inscription, "ITIS APIS POTANDA TINO NE", Column 8, Saturday). "I found something similar - a large stone slab set with an iron ring, inscribed with the words 'TOTI E HORS ESTO'. I never have been able to figure out what it's for." OK, everyone, the penny has finally dropped. That's quite enough. [...]

No comments:

Post a Comment